Sunday, October 13, 2013

One Never Knows......

One never knows what a day will bring.  Last Thursday morning started out like any other morning.  Up at 5 a.m. and Tom gets ready for work and I mix up some goodies for his lunch.  He makes his coffee and is out the door by 5:30 a.m.  Then, the morning takes a little bit of a turn......I went outside to turn the chicken lights on - Tom usually does this.  I took my time giving the birds a little wake up call and the roosters began crowing.  Then I went over to the goats and made sure they had hay for the day.  I watered Simba, my bunny and played with the dogs. As I walked towards the house I heard the house phone ring which made me realize I left my cell phone in the house.  I figured this was Tom calling to let me know something that he forgot to tell me.  Well, his voice sounded different and he asked, "Can you come get me?"  Oh, boy. Something is wrong!  I asked what happened and he said, "The car is in the ditch."  So, I go to my car, in my pajamas and Lucy is so determined to go with me.  She hops in the back and I start driving down the road.  I meet up with Tom and we headed south to where the car was.  He was heading south to go to work, but the car was heading north in the opposite road ditch.  He said the steering wasn't working very well and after he had stopped at a stop sign and began picking up speed and trying to figure out what could be wrong, the front driver's wheel turned cross-wise because the lower A-frame came off.  This was the cause of his ending up in the opposite road ditch.  There was also some body damage and the rear passenger tire was flat.  The radiator is leaking too. So thankful this didn't happen while he was driving down the highway at 60 mph! 



The car has been towed to our house and the insurance adjuster will come evaluate the damage the first part of the week.  We are fortunate to have three vehicles so Tom will be driving my car and I will be driving the pickup. 

This poor Chevy Malibu has been through just about everything!  Damages from hitting a fox, a raccoon, a deer, a pheasant shattered the windshield, and the transmission went out this summer in Bridgeport, NE on our way home from the Black Hills.  We just put 4 new tires on it 2 months ago!

Will keep you posted on the outcome of this Malibu.....Please put safety first while driving!  Buckle your seat belts, know how your car handles so you can detect when something is wrong, give 100% of your attention to driving and anticipate others actions.  This time of year be especially kind to farmers and their equipment.  Allow plenty of time to get where you are going! 

Have a safe and happy week!  Enjoy this beautiful fall!
Peggy